Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Enjoying the Journey: Your New Guest Blogger, Mabe (the babe) lol

Hello One and All!

I am soooo honored to be invited to guest blog on this site. As a friend of the originators, I cannot begin to commend them for developing such an idea for young African (& American) students in the VA area....

I am going to use this space to be forward and detailed about who I am, what I do, and why I am writing. I tend to be longwinded and some folks say, dramatic, but I will be as candid, honest, and myself as possible in this introductory post. My name is Mabel, I am a 20-something Ghanaian-American female-- born and bred in Virginia. My parents migrated to the States in the early 80's and popped me out a couple of years later. My story is not unique but it is so special to me... I am the first born, which I believe contributes to my sappy motherly behavior and instincts. My parents have been divorced since I was a wee toddler and I have lived with my mother, my step father and my half-siblings for the majority of my life. I was brought up to be a triple G-- a Good Ghanaian Girl. I will develop this term in a later post and how it overall relates to the choices I have made in life. I was the ever respectful and compliant child. I barely argued, hardly talked back, rarely requested for anything that had to do with youthful pleasure. In return, I got admiring respect from adults, a fairly drama free life, and a disheartening issue with self identity. I am proud to say that I have since conquered most of my fears and continue to deal with strengthening my self confidence. However, this truly began when I decided to be real with myself and pursue a passion that fit my standard of success and happiness-- and no one else's.

I went to college. I studied English. I became a school teacher.

In 2005, to the quiet dismay of my parents, I announced I was not going to pursue a law degree when I went to George Mason; I was to instead pursue an English degree in hopes to become an English teacher. My mother nonchalantly said she always wanted to be a teacher and was not surprised. My step father whined and bemoaned that I was wasting my intelligence. My daddy refused to tell friends, family, and co-workers that his daughter was going to college to become a mere teacher. I pushed through anyway. I enjoyed my major, brightened my education resume by teaching at summer camps, and got a full time teaching job shortly after grad. But according to the GGG mantra, it wasn't supposed to go that way. Being the compliant child that I was, I was supposed to follow through with the plans my parents set before me. That included pursuing a lucrative career that will surely bring prestige and pride; nothing having to do with passion and insight. So going against the grain at moment's chance probably scarred my relationship with my parents and has caused me to wonder if they are truly proud of me... become a bolder, stronger role model in my household.:)

But such moves and thoughts was enough to encourage me to start a journey. I was to step out on a path of self awareness that never crossed my mind until I got on a college campus. I forced myself to take risks, meet new people, enjoy my academic pursuit, in spite of the haziness before me. Mind you, as a compliant child, I never considered my own dreams, interests, or passions. I just knew what was expected of me and went with it. So even the choice of becoming a teacher was frightening for me because mentally, I only saw myself as a lawyer. But emotionally, I felt like a teacher. I was a keeper of knowledge and a sharer of ideas. And going with my heart lead me on my journey and it is still guiding me......

Welcome, again, to Guiding the Journey. I am here to assist those who want to know what it takes to get to college; those who need assistance in making an academic career choice; those who just want to know that they are not alone. I aim to promote the pursuit of education and happyness with my findings, learnings, and sharings. Come with me as I clear the path!

Mabel (Ama Kyei is my web name,  ha! )

2 comments:

  1. OMG, Ama, your story is beautiful and I can certainly relate to being a triple G first born...I hated being a triple G, and I still suffer from some the consequences of living for me. I know a lot of American born Africans will relate to this story and whatever else you have to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Yedei, can't wait to share more of what I have to offer!

    ReplyDelete